FoMC submission to the Ministry for the Environment on Emissions Reduction Plan. Here are the main points:
- The FoMC is NOT opposed to EV’s, hybrid and other new technology vehicles
- We believe they are a viable alternative for those on short commuting journeys and who have the financial ability to purchase them at current prices
- We recognise that the Clean Car Programme is designed to incentivise the purchase of lower-emission vehicles and provide a subsidy to buyers of EV’s, PHEV’s, etc., through raising the price of higher-emission vehicles. We have suggested other strategies should also be considered.
- Vast numbers of the existing ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) vehicle fleet will still be in use in 2035, so the obvious need is for a cleaner fuel that can be used in existing vehicles to reduce emissions
- We therefore support the development of “drop-in” biofuels which can be used in existing ICE vehicles to lower their emissions
- We look forward to the development of new battery technologies which will extend battery life and reduce their manufacturing emissions
Select the following link to read the submission: